Your logo is one of the first things that your customers will see. You already know that graphic design important, but the question is, do you know what kind of design fits you?
Should you go for design as basic as a swoosh like Nike, or something as detailed as Starbucks?
Tough choice, huh?
Well, that’s probably why you’re here anyway. No problem. We’re here to help you with your logo and overall graphic design of your company!
Allow us to show you the difference between the two to help you weigh which one would fit you and your business.
Why should you choose a simple logo design?
You’ve probably already been told many times that you should go for a simple logo because it’s what every big company in the world is doing. Well, it kind of makes sense, right? After all, simplicity is beauty. Or so they say. But it still depends on what you’re trying to do and what you want to show your customers.
To help you decide if simple logo design is for you, here are some of its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of a simple logo design:
- Simple logos are easy to look at, making them easier notice and remember, which is precisely two of the things that you would want for your brand. To be noticed and to be remembered.
- Simpler designs can be appreciated by a broader range and variety of people. You get to overcome the boundaries of language, age, race, and culture because it appeals to the more general public. It’s not like you have to know English to know that a yellow “M” is the logo of McDonald’s, right?
- Less prone to imitation. With few details and color, the harder it is for your competitors to redesign your logo as it would be too obvious that they got it from you.
Disadvantages of a simple logo design:
- Can be dull and boring.
- Harder to create a more distinctive design. Your competitors may also be using simple designs. So if you’re all using simple designs, the harder it is to stand out. (Example: Nike, Puma, Adidas, etc.)
- Simple logos may show a different message from what you want your customers to see. It can relay a lot of meaning. Hence, the meaning is anyone’s guess.
Why should you choose a complex logo design?
As good and convenient as simple logos go, complex designs, on the other hand, has its fair share of goodies.
In spite of the term “complex,” having an intricate design doesn’t exactly mean that your logo will have every single color of the rainbow. It just means that your logo has a lot of elements working together to show your message. Kind of like what Starbucks, Porche, and Mozilla Firefox are doing.
Here are some of the pros and cons of using a complex logo design for your brand.
Advantages of a complex logo design:
- It’s easier to stand out from your competitors. The more eye-catching your logo is, the better.
- You can incorporate a lot of ideas and elements into the logo. This makes it easier for your customers to understand you and what you’re about. (Just try not to overdo it, though)
- It can be easier for you to show your company’s story through symbols or phrases you want to add to the logo. Everybody has a story to tell, right?
Disadvantages of a complex logo design:
- The more colors, shapes, and texts added to the logo, the harder it is to understand the logo. So if you over design, it can get quite confusing to your customers. Hence, the more they see, the less they understand.
- Logos can get outdated, so complex graphic design can be difficult to redesign. The more complex the design is, the harder it is to update.
- Complex logo designs can be easily counterfeited. The more elements there are in your logo, the more opportunities your competitors have in copying or “improving” your logo. In terms of copyright, they can just change the color and a couple more elements of the logo and they’d get off the hook.
Choosing your company logo can be very difficult, especially since you’re still new to the business world. But there are ways to make it easier for you to decide, there are people who can help you. You should consider getting yourself a graphic designer to have all of your graphic design needs handled and to get your idea on paper and print.
Next, what better way to have your business logo known than through the internet, right? Everybody is online these days!
But if you don’t have the time to learn about the internet stuff, and we understand that you have a lot of things to worry about, you can always get help with a digital marketing manager. It’s always better to have a little help, even the biggest companies know how to seek helping hands.
Bottom line, whatever the design of your brand is, what matters most is it shows who you are as a company or business, and the people you have that help you build it. Just always keep in mind that your goal is to let everyone know who you are and what you do. Good luck!